Air Dryers have been long in use from now; they are widely used in both industrial or commercial applications and home applications. Technically speaking, an air dryer is equipment or the device which is used to remove the water vapor from the compressed air.
The basic or the main function of the air dryer is to remove moisture from the air by cooling it with a refrigerant. Thus, the water vapor is condensed, and the air can be compressed. The result is dry compressed air, which can be used in compressed air equipment without causing any damage. To reduce the amount of vapor in the compressed air is also the function of the air dryer. This function is done by cold generated adsorption drying in which the compressed air of the air compressor is passed through granulates, at the same time; it also lowers the due point.
Air Dryers are used for both Industrial Applications and Residential/Home Applications. Although main and widely usage of air dryers are being found in industrial applications in many industries, there are still some areas and applications in non-commercial zone where air dryers are used. Below are the various usage and applications from both industrial and non-industrial areas where air dryers are widely used.
- Industrial Usage
- Hospitals: Here, air dryers are used for applications like bone screws, stents and medical implants; cleaning medical molding etc.
- Space Science: In the air space science applications such as cleaning orifices in turbine blades; removing magnesium oxide insulator from thermocouple harnesses; engraving optical lenses etc., air dryers are used.
- Heavy Industry: Heavy Industry is one of the widely using industries with applications for removing EDM recast and discoloration; finishing and texturing injection mold cavities; cleaning runner nozzles use air dryers in the day-to-day basis.
- Other Applications: Apart from above industries, there are air dryers used for cleaning and preparation of semi-precious stones and jewelry.
- Residential Usage
- Apart from the industrial applications use of air dryers there are few non-commercials or the home use of air dryers including spin dryers, hair dryers, condenser dryer, heat pump dryer and clothes dryers. Air dryers in home based applications are drying the substance or the object where air dryer is used.
Comparison with Air Compressors
Air Dryer is used to remove the vapor air from the compressed air. Air Compressor is used to convert power unit from to smaller volume. Air Dryers types include refrigerated dryer, Deliquescent dryer, Desiccant dryer and Membrane dryer etc. While, Air Compressors types include Rotary screw compressor, Reciprocating compressor, Single Phase Air Compressors and Multiphase Air Compressors etc.